Monday 19 August 2019

Hiring the Right Trainer for Your Goals

Hiring a trainer is no longer just for the rich and famous. I believe that hiring a good trainer is one of the smartest investments that a person could ever make. In fact, I believe people should have "their trainer", just as they do their attorney, accountant, etc. It's not about having a workout buddy. It's about having a professional help you reach your fitness goals much faster than you likely would on your own. It's like hiring a good CPA, or a good attorney. That's not an exaggeration. Here are a few questions to ask yourself:

-What were my goals when I started exercising?

-Have I reached those goals?

-Can I reach these goals on my own?

-If I can reach these on my own, why haven't I already done so?

-Could a qualified trainer help me reach these goals?

-Could a qualified trainer help me reach these goals faster?

-Could a qualified trainer help me reach these goals in a safer manner?
-How much are reaching these goals worth to me?

-How much is the time saved by working with a trainer worth to me?

-How much is it worth to my health in the long run to start an effective exercise program as soon as possible?

I think many people, if they answer these questions in a truthful manner, would be hard-pressed not to admit that hiring a qualified trainer is a wise investment. If money is a concern, simply find a trainer who is willing to work with you less frequently. Although traditional personal trainers work two to three times per week with their clients, approximately 50% of my clients when I operated in Bowling Green, Ohio worked with me once per month to redesign their program and keep them progressing. With that being said, let's move on.

How to pick a personal fitness trainer

I'll be the first to say that I'm not satisfied with the state of my profession. In an email to a fellow fitness professional today, I stated, "The fitness industry would be better off if we get rid of at least 50% of the trainers working today." I'd go further to say that only 10-20% of trainers are truly professional.

Of course, the debate is 'who is qualified to be a trainer?'
Does academic education make a great trainer? If it is, then I'm golden. I have a Masters Degree and I'd guess that only 3-5% of trainers have a masters degree or higher. However, there are many excellent trainers who have no college education within exercise science. These trainers have learned in the trenches.

Academic education isn't the only factor. In fact, some of the most advanced exercise researchers I know of would starve very quickly if they tried to make a career as a trainer. They're great at their important role as researchers but they wouldn't be good as trainers. Likewise, many great trainers couldn't cut it as researchers.

Does the person have to be an exceptional physical specimen? This, again, is controversial. Unfortunately, the academically-based trainers and the hard bodies traditionally make up two different camps that are almost adversarial towards each other.

Would I pass the hard body test? Well, I guess it depends who you ask. It's unlikely that you'll ever see me on the cover of some fitness magazine, but you may see me writing an article for it. I look fit, but I don't look like I spend all day in the gym.

We need to realistically assume that the exceptional physical specimens have probably been very dedicated to an intense exercise program and very strict diet, have better than average genetics, and may have used anabolic steroids and other anabolic agents/ supplements to give them the ultra-muscular and ultra-lean look.

The reality is that while your trainer should look fit, there is no valid reason to pick a trainer based solely on their physique...unless of course they have specialized knowledge in elite level bodybuilding/ fitness competition and that is your goal.

What certification should a trainer have? This is a hot topic in the fitness industry. There are hundreds of certifications. ..The majority of which are woefully inadequate. A know one trainer actually earned one certification in about fifteen minutes online...and had the certification filled out with his cat's name on it to prove a point of the inadequacy of many certifications! I'm not kidding.

Currently, the big three certifications which are considered reputable are the American Council on Exercise (ACE), the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Each of these has their pros and cons.

I'm also leaving out a handful of other certifications that I would consider "decent". And a trainer having one of the big three (ACE, ACSM, NSCA-CSCS or NSCA-CPT), isn't necessarily great trainer...it simply means that they passed a minimal competency level.

Here are my suggested criteria for hiring a trainer:
-Do you have a good sense of rapport with them? You need to pick a trainer that you respect as a professional, but liking them as a person is what keeps a strong client/trainer relationship going for the long term.

-Do they have a reputable personal training certification?

-Do they have a track record (client testimonials, before and after pictures, current clients who are seeing results, media exposure)?

-Do they have a solid-base of clients? The best trainers, while they may be accepting new clients, are busy. They're not sitting around and waiting for new clients.

-Do they have professional rates? You usually get what you pay for. I can guarantee that anyone charging less than $40/ hr. is lacking in some way. An average trainer typically runs about $50 (depending on the local economy). My current rate is $75/hr.

If you want a true professional, you're going to pay professional rates. I'd encourage everyone who can afford it to work with the best trainer in their area. It's worth it in the end. Like I said before, if money is a limiting factor, see if the trainer will allow for less frequent meetings.

-Do they have professional policies? I'm not a workout buddy, I'm a professional. Most good trainers will see themselves the same way. With good trainers, if you miss a session, you can expect to pay. If the trainer doesn't haves solid policies in place, I'd encourage you to find one who runs their business as a professional and delivers professional results.

Following these guidelines, you are likely to find a trainer who is both well-versed in safe and effective fitness programs and one that you develop a great rapport with and respect for.
fe

No comments:

Post a Comment