Thursday 23 August 2018

Age Should never be the issue when Hiring

Sometime ago, I came across a candidate who was 50+ years old and was looking for a sales job. I felt obligated to interview him, as I always believe that everyone should have an equal chance, but I am not too sure other employers would be open enough to hire someone at that age….

At first glance, he was not very impressive. His beard was not shaved, he wore a shirt that was torn, and my impression towards him was not too good; but something amazing happened when he was describing his job experience….

The atmosphere changed for the better, and I felt so glad to give him the opportunity to prove his worth. As I was rushing to another appointment to meet a client, I told him:

“Sir, (his name was Yuosf) I like what I am seeing in you, and I want to see you in few days at my office again. I want to talk to you further on how I can hire you.”

A few days later, he came into the office, and he was hired. He was 50+ years old, and nobody would give him a chance; but I did, and I am glad I did because I know he will be one of the best salespeople I have ever had.

What was his secret in turning the tables around and getting the job that he really wanted? The keyword is “SINCERITY.”

In his eyes, I saw the burning desire that he really wanted this job and really wanted to prove to someone that he was still worth the value.

If he can do it, I believe anyone can…the only problem is that YOU are the only hurdle. It takes sincerity, passion, and desire to overcome this hurdle and if you have it, the job will be truly yours.

An article by Dougles Chan, Digital Marketing Singapore Guru

No comments:

Post a Comment